Interested in Working with Welligence?
If you want to transform energy research come join our interdisciplinary team of petroleum engineers, data scientists, energy analysts, sales & marketers, and software developers!
Current Job Openings
ESG Research Internship
We are looking for ambitious individuals to help us expand our databases that track global oil activity and its link to energy transition efforts.
There are three different areas of focus for interns. One includes the building of financial models for oil and gas assets, which then allows for the calculation of gas emissions. Another includes study projects and data acquisition on gas emissions from across the globe. A third includes primary research on oil and gas operations to better understand the global supply forecasts.
Within all of these different projects, you will work directly with the Regional Head and gain feedback and an understanding of the energy industry. Both the financial modelling experience and the research experience are extremely relevant for careers in banking, consulting and the wider energy sector.
If you're interested, please send a cover letter and resume at pablo dot medina at welligence dot com.
North Sea Research Team
Welligence is looking to strengthen our North Sea upstream research team in the UK. You will join an industry-leading team with significant experience in the upstream sector, and will lead our North Sea coverage and build-out. The role requires a thorough understanding of the North Sea (Norway/UK) upstream sector and corporate portfolios.
- A minimum of three years of experience working in the upstream space, either in E&Ps, investment banking, or research/consulting firms
- Ability to write high-quality analysis with minimal supervision
- Strong competency in financial valuations and Excel modelling
- Demonstrable experience in the Norway/UK upstream sector
Send resume and cover letter to pablo dot medina at welligence.com. Add subject line: "North Sea Research - UK."
Private-equity backed early stage start-up seeks talented software engineer to join our engineering team. The mission of the company is to pioneer the use of data analytics and A.I. in the energy transition and upstream oil and gas sector. You will work under the Lead Developer, a startup veteran with over 10 years of experience, and the CTO, a Harvard professor and co-founder of the company. You will also work closely with our in-house team of data scientists which include petroleum engineers, statisticians, and computer scientists. Expect talented, motivated, and interesting co-workers (welligence.com/company).
The desired experience level is 1-3 years post a STEM degree or the equivalent experience, with some exposure to both front-end (React) and back-end (Ruby on rails ideal, other MVC frameworks) programming, and the desire to rapidly learn more in a fast-paced startup environment. Salary is competitive based on location, and includes equity compensation. You should be willing to work extremely hard when required, and be seeking a culture of accountability.
Concrete Skills include in order of importance:
- Ruby on Rails (RoR). Familiarity with ruby libraries for scraping & parsing data, and database sharding are a plus (e.g. nokigri, octopus/rails 6) and best practices (test-driven development rpsec, rubocop). Databases: PostgreSQL
- Front-end web development in React.js.
- Experience and demonstrated ability working with small agile teams and translating business objectives into technical specifications.
- Relevant Technologies: Apollo/GraphQL, React + Material-UI, Jenkins, Leaflet, MapBox, Google Maps API
Who We Are:
At Welligence we’re on a mission to transform the energy industry by building the world’s leading international data platform. Clients across five continents use our data intelligence platform to make business critical decisions, perform macro analysis, do granular deep dives on specific opportunities, and ultimately increase profits and minimize carbon emissions. We’re backed by leading energy investors Quantum Energy Partners, and have offices in Austin, Houston, Miami, New York, and Edinburgh (UK).
As a Data Scientist on our Austin-based team you will join an industry-leading group led by Harvard Data Science Professor and Co-founder Seth Neel, and Head of Data Science Akash Sadashivapeth. Our team is comprised of diverse backgrounds across statistics, computer science, and electrical and petroleum engineering.
What You’ll Work On:
• Time series forecasting and machine learning in R using our proprietary library
• Forecasting and tracking of carbon emissions into the atmosphere
• Customer analytics using Google Analytics APIs
• Data visualizations to help clients (energy companies, banks, investors) make informed decisions
• Advising engineering on data quality and architectural decisions
You will also gain valuable insight into the energy industry by working with our in-house team of over a dozen recognized global experts and play a vital role in applying data science to the energy transition.
What You Bring:
• The desire and passion to learn new technical skills and concepts quickly and to push the boundaries of current systems
• Top-notch communication with stakeholders, investors, clients, and your teammates
• The confidence to ask for help when needed
• Ability to prioritize work and manage your time
• Experience writing well-documented, logical, high quality R code
• Experience manipulating and cleaning large datasets in R, pulling data in SQL, and using version control with Git
• Experience with Unix-like operating systems (Linux, MacOS X) and command line interface
• Ability to work with disparate data sources (i.e SQL, CSV, APIs)
• 3-4 years of experience in R (Rshiny, ggplot2, tidyverse, ggplot2, plotly)
• Basic familiarity with concepts in machine learning (time series, decision trees, linear regression, clustering)
• Engineering best practices: git, agile/kanban methodologies, code documentation
• Experience designing relational databases/ERDs (nice to have)
• Experience running ML algorithms in AWS or similar platforms (nice to have)
Why People Choose Us:
• Competitive compensation, stock options (included in this position), and health benefits
• Equity options in a well-run and financially stable tech company that has potential for massive upside
• Flexible working arrangements (1-2 days WFH)
• Chance to make a real impact in the trillion $ global energy industry
• Emphasis on learning new concepts and growing your data science career (professional development budget to take courses if desired)
• Flat culture emphasizing collaboration, merit, and communication
• Opportunity for rapid advancement
• Your teammates will respect your time and fully expect you’ll lead a balanced life, while working hard when you’re at work
This role is in-person, full-time, based in Austin, Texas where our data team and our founder/CEO are located. Likely 3-4 days in office per week with the other days remote.
Latin America Upstream Analyst
Welligence is looking to strengthen our Latin America upstream oil & gas research team in Houston, TX. You will join an industry-leading team with significant experience in the upstream sector, helping to maintain and enhance our offering, including coverage of the emerging focus on mitigating greenhouse gas emissions. In this fast-growing company, you will engage cross-functionally with Research, Business Development and Data Science. While industry experience (1 to 3 years) is preferred, we welcome applications from ambitious candidates with a passion for the ever-evolving energy space.
• Ability to write high-quality analysis
• Strong competency in financial valuations and Excel modelling
• Ability to communicate effectively with internal stakeholders and clients
• Must be fluent in written/spoken Spanish
• Ability to work within a dynamic and fast-paced environment
• Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States for any employer
Send resume and cover letter to andres dot armijos at welligence dot com.
Add subject line: "Latin America Research – Houston, TX."
Middle East & North Africa Upstream Analyst
Welligence is looking to strengthen our Middle East North Africa (MENA) upstream research team in the UK. You will join an industry-leading team with significant experience in the upstream sector, and will lead our MENA coverage and build-out. The role requires a thorough understanding of the region's upstream sector and corporate portfolios.
A minimum of three years of experience working in the upstream space, either in E&Ps, investment banking, or research/consulting firms
Ability to write high-quality analysis with minimal supervision
Strong competency in financial valuations and Excel modelling
Demonstrable experience in the MENA upstream sector
Send resume and cover letter to pablo dot medina at welligence.com. Add subject line: "MENA Research - UK."